It is a privilege to operate as a ministry of Mckernan Baptist Church knowing that with their support, we are better able to share God’s love in a practical way to families in Edmonton. Our “not for profit” centre is administered by a volunteer daycare board with members of the church, executive pastor, and the director of the daycare. All parents are invited to share their views via the parent reps and are encouraged to attend the annual parent meetings held twice a year (January & September).
Our goal is to share God’s love in a practical way to all families while showcasing a team of professionals that excels in the field of Early Learning and childcare. As a team, it is our desire to share the importance of our profession to our community and appreciate the opportunity to learn along with the children in our care. We envision a program that showcases quality in these ways:
- select staff that are educated in the field of Early Learning and Childcare.
- facilitate a working environment that supports and promotes professional standards
(PD days, planning and documentation time, providing resources, etc)
-challenge our team to reach their potential as educators
-encourage and mentor students within the Early Learning and Childcare field as they further their skills
Environment/ Play Space:
-provide an environment that encourages and supports curiosity, wonder, exploration and imagination
-utilize natural elements that engage children’s natural capacity for learning and provide a sense of calm and wellbeing
-maintain a safe and inviting space for children, families and educators to spend time in
Planning & Programming:
-provide meaningful learning experiences for children
-build on children’s current knowledge and offer opportunities for further development of skills
-recognize children’s individual needs and plan a program that supports their developmental stage
-take time to learn from children and collaborate with families
-learn from other programs and philosophies
-build nurturing relationships with the children in our care
Children, families, and educators learning and growing together.
We look forward to meeting you soon!
Download our current newsletter
Download our Parent Handbook
Download the Portable Emergency Information Record
Download the waitlist form
Download this month's menu
How to prepare your child for daycare
Our program is licensed to care for children 0-5 who are not enrolled in kindergarten. We offer priority to currently enrolled families for all spots that come available.
We are currently full and all families with secured spots for 2013 have been contacted. We anticipate additional vacancies to come available in the summer/fall 2014. Please keep us informed via email if you would like to remain on the waitlist or if any of your information needs to be updated. If we do not hear from you within a year from submitting your waitlist form, you will be removed from the list. Thank you for your help in keeping this list updated. Please contact our office if you would like more information.
If you are interested in our waitlist, download and print our waitlist form, and return it to the daycare with the waitlist fee.
Filling out a waitlist form will NOT guarantee a space when you request it. Parents must keep in contact (every 3-6 months) to update their form and interest in a space. As well, it is a minimum of 1-2 years wait time depending on the age of your child and when you are needing care.
Hours of Operation
We are open Monday to Friday from 7:30-5:30 daily. We are closed all statuary holidays and for a week during the Christmas break. For more details on our hours please contact our office.
Fees are collected monthly by pre-authorized payment and include meals.
|Curiosity Room - Infant
|Wonder Room - Toddler
|Imagination Room - Preschool
Our fees are reviewed annually and are subject to change.
Subsidies are available. Please visit the Alberta Government Website for information and applicable forms.
- McKernan Child Development Centre employs nine full time staff and a director.
- The daycare averages an enrollment of 34 children ages 12 months - 5 years.
- Families come to us from all over the world as many are researchers, professors, visiting professors, or PhD. students. Many come from countries where Christianity is not accepted.
- We have been in operation since November 1997
- We have a board made up of a Chairperson (from the church), Director of the daycare, a church representative and parent representative(s).
- The average education level of our staff is two years college in early childhood development.
- The level of education for the director is currently a diploma in early childhood education (Level 3 with Honours), elementary education courses from the University of Lethbridge and several years of experience working both in the classroom as a developmental specialist, preschools, and as a field placement instructor for the ECE program at Lethbridge Community College.
- The day care operates with fees collected from the parents and a grant from U of A. At this time, there is no fundraising component required with enrollment. For information about subsidies available click here.
- The centre operates Monday - Friday, 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM
- McKernan Child Development Centre is an accredited daycare which means that we have met very intensive criteria and our standards are much higher than the minimum government requirements.
- McKernan Child Development Centre is operated as an outreach through McKernan Baptist Church showing God's love in a practical way by serving the families and children who come into our midst.
Curiosity Room Team
- Ulrika Solowan - Level 3 (*Assistant Director)
- Chitra Ambrose - Level 3
- Kaitlyn Varty - Level 3
Wonder Room Team
- Veronica Saldivia - Level 3
- Francine Godbout - Level 3
Imagination Room Team
- Renee Lewis - Level 3
- Erika Amado - Level 3
- Virginia (Iggy) Magnaye - Level 1- Cook
- Kayla Papaianni - Level 3
- Brittany Smith - Level 3 - Naptime Support
- Yeon Jin Kim - Level 3 - Naptime Support
Contact McKernan Child Development Centre