Everyone goes through difficult times. Having someone to care, to listen and to share God’s love with you, can help get you through the confusion, stress or loneliness you may be experiencing.
What is Stephen Ministry?
Stephen Ministry is grounded in Jesus’ command to love one another. Through one-to-one caring relationships, those who are hurting receive the love and care they need to support them.
- Is life more than you can handle right now?
- Is your health, your attitude or your relationships suffering?
- Are you adjusting to a new job, change in marital status, a serious illness, the death of a loved one, a recent move?
- Would you like to have someone in your life who really cares?
Stephen Ministers Are Called To Be Care Givers
Bear one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
Encourage the faint hearted, help the weak, be patient with all of them.
1 Thessalonians 5:14
God Is The Care Giver
Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you.
Come to me, all you who are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.
Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you.
1 Peter 5:7
What is a Stephen Minister?
A Stephen Minister is…
- A child of God who walks beside a hurting person.
- A caring Christian friend who really listens.
- A lay person who has received 50 hours of training in how to provide distinctively Christian care.
A Stephen Minister is NOT…
- A counselor or therapist
- A problem-solver
- A casual visitor
Stephen Ministry helps meet the need of individuals who are…
- Terminally ill
- In a job crisis
- New members of the church
- In spiritual crisis
- Looking for a caring, Christian friend
How does the referral process work?
- A person--you, a relative, or a friend--is hurting and in need of Christian care.
- The Stephen Ministry Referrals Coordinator learns about this need for care – from a pastor, or a friend, always with the person’s permission.
- The Referrals Coordinator meets with the person to talk about Stephen Ministry.
- With the person’s permission, the Referrals Coordinator assigns a Stephen Minister to meet on a weekly basis with the person.
- The Stephen Minister continues to provide distinctively Christian care for the person with strict confidentiality.
For more information about Stephen Ministry, please contact Pastor Christine.