Paul is in full stride in today’s passage. His compelling speech regarding the dynamic ways that God was moving shook up the customs. I love the gap between v.42 and v.44. Wouldn’t you love to have been in that town that week? There was a captivating wave of good news being talked about in every workplace, home and market area. Its development spread, and the people could not wait until the next Sabbath so they could hear more from the word of the Lord! Predictably, those with ‘power’ were not early adopters to embracing a new thing God was doing. Rather, they were already selecting their choice of throwing stones. They had their way to worship and it was stabilizing for them. So much so that they chose stability over growth.
What is the ‘new thing’ God is currently doing in our culture? How are you discerning between the norms that must change to keep up with God, and the frivolous appeal to the latest fad? The crucial factor is found in v.52. Weaving together the first century church and our current church is the filling of the Spirit. How are you daily praying for the filling of the Spirit?
- Pray for the Prime Minister, Premier Notley, Mayor Iveson, your MP, your MLA, and any other government officials God brings to mind.
- Pray for Dave Schneider, our Youth Ministry Pastor.
- Pray for our Daycare in its service to children and their families this week. Pray for the director, Kristy Thomas.
- Pray for our Congregational Life Pastor, Mike Bartusek and his family.
- Pray for Karen Alksne, our Congregational Life Intern.