What is Stephen Ministry?
Our congregation’s Stephen Ministry is a confidential ministry, whereby trained and
supervised lay people provide one-to-one Christian care to people in our congregation
and community who are experiencing difficulties in their lives. These difficulties may
● Loss of a loved one
● Divorce or separation
● Loneliness or discouragement
● Spiritual crisis
● Terminal or chronic illness
● Unemployment or a job crisis
● Many other life changes
To inquire about receiving the care of a Stephen Minister for yourself or for someone
you know, please contact Pastor Mike.
HOW DOES THE REFERRAL PROCESS WORK?
● A person--you, a relative, or a friend--is hurting and in need of Christian care and
reaches out to the Pastoral Staff at McKernan Baptist Church.
● If it is determined that Stephen Ministry is a good fit for the person’s situation and
with their permission, information is provided to the Stephen Ministry Referrals
● The Referrals Coordinator meets with the person to talk about Stephen Ministry
and the need for care experienced by the person.
● With the person’s permission and prayerful consideration, the Referrals
Coordinator assigns a Stephen Minister to regularly meet with the person, usually
on a weekly basis.
● The Stephen Minister continues to provide distinctively Christian care for the
person with strict confidentiality and under peer supervision.