Sunday Program - May 31, 2020
Welcome to McKernan Baptist Church! We are glad you have joined us for our online service. Pastor Mike will be continuing into the book of Philippians.
How much have cost us the evils that never happened!
Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strength.
My joy in life is not because I have not had any problems. I have joy because I have learned there is nothing too great for God's power to deal with, nor anything too small or insignificant for His love to be concerned about.
There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice.
Upcoming Events or Updates
Are you new here?
Welcome! Even though we are not meeting at the church for the time being, we still want to connect with you. Please CLICK HERE so we can touch base with you.
Small Group Sermon Discussion
Every Sunday after the live service at 11:30am we are opening space to talk about the sermon. Come discover more about God’s word together in small groups. Email Isaac@mckernanbaptist.ca to get the Zoom link.
C&C Online Connection Opportunities
Join Pastor Daunavan (and potentially others) any time on Monday’s from 11:00am-2:00pm at - Join us at bit.ly/CandCDiscussion
Wednesday Night Bible Study - 7:00pm (check https://www.facebook.com/mckernanyoungadults/ for Zoom link)
Friday Afternoon Time of Prayer & Devotion - 1:00pm on our Facebook Page
all church prayer time
All Church Prayer time on Sundays at 2:00pm. Please email Pastor Daunavan for the Zoom link.
Our next congregational meeting will be online on Sunday, June 14 at 6:00pm. We hope all of you can join us online.
The Women's Spring Fling is On
This Thurs., June 4 at 7:00-9:00pm - All women are invited to gather at the Klapstein's farm for an evening of conversation and visiting! Bring your own lawn chair, water bottle and a snack for yourself. RSVP is required as this is a limited capacity event due to COVID-19 regulations. RSVP closes at midnight of June 1, so please sign up as soon as you can. Once 50 spots has been filled (only 22 spots left!), registration will close. CLICK HERE to sign up.
Connection Cafe Reunion
Tuesday June 9 at 10 am - noon in the McKernan Park at the West end of our parking lot. Participants to supply their own coffee and chair. Washroom facilities available. Cancelled if weather poor. Limit 50 participants or AHS limitation if changed. Social distancing enforced. CLICK HERE to sign up.
Young At Heart BBL (Bring Bag Lunch)
Saturday, June 27 - 11:30 to 1:30. McKernan Park at West end of parking lot. Participants to supply their own lunch and chair. Washroom facilities available. Cancelled if weather poor. Limit 50 participants or AHS limitation if changed. Social distancing enforced. Sign up will open next Sunday.
Thank you for your generosity and continued support of the mission and ministry at McKernan Baptist Church. During this time where we are not meeting in person on Sunday mornings, we still want to give you the opportunity to give as God would lead you.
- Online Giving via the church website
- Pre-authorized debit from your bank
- You can mail your cheque to the church: McKernan Baptist Church, Attn: Finance Team, 11103 76 Avenue NW, Edmonton, AB T6G 0J9.
Missionary of the Week
Joost and Cheryl Pikkert
Over the past several decades many Wycliffe missionaries have trained national mother tongue speakers from all over the world to do Bible translation in their own mother tongues. Their efforts have sped up the global Bible translation task but has incurred another challenge: the lack of highly trained translation consultants necessary in checking the quality of these drafted Bible translations. Joost and Cheryl Pikkert are engaged in trying to solve the shortage of Bible translation consultants by establishing accredited Bible translation consultant training programs around the world. Their focus is to upgrade the skills of promising national mother tongue translators so that they in turn can become Bible translation consultants in their local geographical areas and so reduce the bottleneck to Bible translation around the world. Please pray that as these nationals around the world are trained as Bible translation consultants, the quality of this training will be reflected in their work and character.
- Pray that our high school graduates would be able to finish their schooling well and be able to enjoy a true celebration of the completion of their studies.
- Pray for health and safety for all at McKernan Child Development Centre (located in the church lower level) as they begin a limited reopening tomorrow.
- Pray for God’s wisdom and guidance for the church board, staff and congregation as we will have a Congregational Meeting on June 14.
- Pray for Joost and Cheryl Pikkert as the serve together with Wycliffe.
- Pray for ongoing wisdom for all our leaders and God’s will to be accomplished during the pandemic.
A huge congratulations for all of this years grade 12 grads from the Youth Ministry. Congratulations to: Matthew Bartusek, Brooklyn Garbutt, Katia Huellstrung, Tyler Lehman, Simon Maguire, Jonah Merrick, Carter Pedde, Tristan Price, Seth Rempel, Lucas Roberts, Jakob Schroth, Makayla Schwartz, Ella St. Martin, Kylie Van Der Even, and Ben Veenstra. We are so proud of you, we love you, and we can’t wait to see what God has in store next for you!
Renewing Joy and Peace in Anxious Times
- Today we continue a series of sermons from Philippians entitled, “20/20 Vision, Life as God Intends.” As we are working through the last chapter Paul has turned his attention to some final exhortations or appeals to the believers. Paul is aware of the difficulties the Philippians are going through and he can appreciate their situation as he too, being in prison, understands the challenges. Paul wants his readers to look beyond their troubles and learn how to live lives of joy and peace.
- Continuing on in this chapter, Paul gives some hands-on concepts helping us to learn, as he has, how to renew joy and peace in anxious times, he challenges us to…
Relentlessly Rejoice (v. 4)
- The difference between happiness and joy
- Rejoice in the Lord, not in our circumstances
- Moving forward in joy
Reflect Gentleness (vs. 5)
- Learned through the work of the Holy Spirit
- Testifies to the world around us
- Time is limited: The Lord is near
Release Anxiety (vs. 6)
- Getting unstuck
- Learning to release: Process not an event
- Accomplished in prayer
Receive Peace (vs. 7)
- Jesus is our peace
- Peace that overcomes anxiety
- Peace that stands guard
- What steps will you take to develop a rhythm of rejoicing in the Lord always?
- In what ways is your gentleness evident?
- Who in your world might be needing some timely gentleness?
- Are there areas where you feel stuck in anxious thoughts?
- Can you trust God and fully release your cares into His hands?
- Have you petitioned God in detailed thankful prayer?
- Is the presence of trouble overshadowing peace in your life?
- Into what situations are you asking Christ to bring His peace?