Gustavo Kuerten, known as “Guga”, was a famous Brazilian tennis player. At one time he was number one in the world. He won the French Open three times and was a Masters Cup Champion. He won 20 singles and 8 double titles. I saw an interview he gave where the reporter commented how thankful he must be to God for all his accomplishments, to which he replied , “not to God, but thanks to me and my hard work.” Interestingly enough, after that public comment he was never able to make a comeback and ended up retiring.
There is a stern warning in our passage today. It is the warning to REMEMBER, and NOT FORGET! God’s people were to remember all that God had done for them: delivering them from slavery, providing for and protecting them in the desert, and bringing them into a land of plenty. They were to be careful to give God the credit when they prospered.
When we remember how God has favoured us, we should respond with worship, service and obedience.
Regular thanksgiving in our ordinary workday world protects us from the sin of pride and self-sufficiency. Each material blessing should spark a hymn of praise.
- For those who need to be encouraged in heart and united in love.
- Ask God to increase your awareness of the wisdom and knowledge in Jesus Christ.
- Pray through the prayer page in the bulletin.
- Pray for Pastor Neil. Pray that God would restore his health during his medical leave.
- Pray for Pastor Dan, our Adult Ministries Pastor and his family.