“If you go to heaven, I go ten times to heaven.“ My Dad and I had a disagreement. I don’t know anymore what it was about, but that sentence stuck with me, because it has always made me think. My dear parents’ measure for people was usually how much they worked. My picture of God is very much tainted through those childhood experiences. Am I good enough? Do I do enough in God's eyes so that He can one day say, “Well done faithful servant“?
Reading today's portion is like a healing balm for this mindset. Paul shows us that we are justified by faith and NOT by works. He uses Abraham as an example. Abraham believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness. (v3) Not his good works, nor circumcision, nor the law saved him, but his faith.
Today likewise, it is not our good works, not our own efforts. It is our faith, our trust in Jesus Christ that will save us! 1 John 1:9 says, ”If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.“
Take some time to focus on Jesus and His saving work. Confess your sins and thank Him for His unmeasurable gift of salvation. Rejoice! You are justified because of Him!
- Pray through the prayer section in our program.
- Pray for our Congregational Life Pastor, Mike Bartusek and his family.
- Pray for all our small group leaders.
- Pray for our Hospitality Coordinator, Irene Dickau.
- Pray for our office staff: Robin Radke, Jane Hao, Naomi Voss; Bookkeeper Lynette Carlson.